When it comes to working with the many decorative stitches that your Singer 401 has, there are some combinations and setups that can deter a novice sewist from diving into it. What if you want to work with a stitch that is not included with your Singer 401? For example, what if you want to use a “Special Fashion disc” ? Well, what you have to do is make sure you let your machine know you are working with a Special disc. And this means you must work in BS mode….
To work with the Special Fashion Discs 1 through 5:
- Have available discs number 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Open the top lid of your sewing machine and insert the disc that you want to work with:
- Disc 1 :Arrowhead stitch
- Disc 2: 24 -Stitch scallop stitch
- Disc 3: Diamond stitch
- Disc 4: Solid Scallop
- Disc 5: Banner stitch
- You need to move:
- The inner knob to “Special”: This is how you tell your sewing machine that you are working with a stitch that is not included in your machine’s built-in decorative stitches
- The outer dark beige knob to the letter “B” to center your stitches:
Only when you are working with decorative stitches, instead of using the red lever to center your stitch you must use the outer beige knob. Rotate this knob to letter A, B, or C depending on the position you want your stitch to be in.
- A: moves the needle to the left
- B: moves the needle to the central position. This is the default position for centering your needle or stitches
- C: moves the needle to the right
- The red Lever to adjust the width of your decorative stitches: For these primary pattern stitches, you have to move the red lever to the widest, the number 5.
This is what your machine should look like:
This is what you should produce with the above mentioned setups:
Use rayon or metallic threads and you will have fun getting creative and trying out fun embellishments!