I was doing some cleaning on my Singer 185 Sewing Machine. I had to remove the slide plate to clean the feed dogs, the bobbin case and to remove fluff and old grime. That was pretty easy. I was having a hard time figuring out how to insert the slide plate. I usually find myself forgetting how to do this.
I looked at the manual but I felt that there was some little detail missing out here. I read forum discussions on how to fix your sewing machines, but I could not put together the instructions in my brain. I was getting frustrated. So I had to tinker with this until I found my way.
The plate for the Singer 185, 99 and 66 models are on the left side. So you have to slide the plate from left to right to remove it. For the Singer 401 model, you have to remove the slide plate in a different direction, from the back to the front towards you. Removing the slide plate is easy but to insert it again in its original place can be a royal pain.
So I felt like I should capture this moment in video. Here you will notice how I place the slide plate with the help of a small screwdriver which came with my sewing machine. If you don’t have one, you can easily use a silverware knife with a thin flat blade if possible. Avoid using cutting chef knives. You don’t want to risk hurting yourself.
- To insert the slide plate back in place, you just need something flat or thin enough to reach the crevices underneath the slide plate.
- With the knife or screwdriver, gently lift the thin metal blade you see on the space where the slide plate should be placed on your sewing machine.
- When you see that these blades fit perfectly onto the grooves behind the slide plate, then slide it from back to front.
- You will hear a snapping sound which means the slide plate is locking in place. You will notice immediately that the plate fits completely flat. If it looks uneven or a little raised, try again until you get it right.
- You can check out this video.