I offered my neighbor to sew a box pillow. This is her old one. It really needs to be replaced! First, I washed the weatherproof fabric twice and put it in the dryer twice. Then I measured the dimensions of the pillow, including depth. I serged the edges of the fabric (with my Serger Brother 1034D) because it unravels. Once I stabilized the edges, I continued to sew. I began attaching the pieces that needed the zipper inserted to close the pillow case. I used my Singer 401 sewing machine for straight stitches.
I think it was a fairly easy project, although, I missed one critical step: How to “square” the corners. So I had issues matching the round edges…looking at the Singer’s step by step reference manual, I know now what I did wrong. So I am ready to sew another box pillow, and this time it will be flawless.
Another challenge that I had was that the foam is really old and is kind of “bumpy” so it was really difficult to fit the seams properly, so one side does not balance well.
So this is the before and after. Getting ready to do this project again to improve my sewing.