After adjusting to a new job and a new school schedule, by the end of the weekend I was really restless and itching for sewing. So I grabbed my bag of “pending sewing projects”. I saw a pattern I bought for my daughter, who is now a tween. I looked at my recent fabric “storage” area, which is underneath a bench since I live in a microscopic apartment. I was excited I found the perfect fabric, and my daughter approved the type of top and fabric for this project.
Immediately I cut the pattern pieces, which to my surprise, were just three. Three big pieces that took a lot of fabric and room on my cutting board! I read the instructions carefully and followed them step by step. I scrambled on steps 3 and 4, so I took a break and came back in 30 minutes. Then I realized that steps 3 and 4 are basically a french seam on the side seam a few inches below the armhole all the way to the hem.
The challenging part for me was to hem the edges of the sleeves and the bodice because they have a long and circular shape. But patiently, with a lot of steam from my domestic iron, I could pin the hem first. I had to leave more than one inch for the hem because the knit fabric tends to curl so much. I used my Janome coverstitch machine for hemming the neck and the edges. Loved the professional look!
At the end of my project when I trimmed the excess fabric around the edge of the hem I made a nasty cut with my small scissors. Even though I went carefully and used my fingers as a fence, I could not control the slimy, runny curl at the hem and made a boo boo. I swear I felt like crying like a little girl.
Here it goes! I think this is an easy project and a very good looking top for a girl. Just remember to use a specialty scissor to trim edges. The pattern size I used is 14, which is the largest size for this pattern. My daughter loved it and it made me really proud. Can’t wait for the next project!